Romance WIP

I was on the phone with a friend the other night for almost two hours. It's been nearly a year since we last spoke and we had a lot to catch up on. During our conversation, she suggested I write a romance novel. "Each one only takes a few days to read. I've got friends who read them constantly. They're just fun! These authors make millions of dollars a book and they write two, three a year. You should do it!"


My interest was piqued. I did some research. "What's a romance novel? What are the romance novel tropes? What's the difference between a romance novel and women's fiction?" I put seven different authors' books on hold at the library. When I went to pick them up I had no idea each one would be 20 or more chapters long. I had to admit, I had dismissed this genre as a waste of time but clearly there was more to it than I thought. Then I started reading. Yes, I found myself cringing and rolling my eyes at the married adult sisters giggling and swooning over the handsome, rich, recently divorced dad who knows how to bake bread, coaches their kids soccer team, and runs a fortune 500 company. No, I didn't put the book down until somewhere around chapter eleven. I see now how this genre has its merits.


So without further Ado, here's chapter one of my as yet untitled romance novel. All notes and comments welcome.


ONE

"Welcome aboard."

"Good morning."

"Welcome aboard."

"Good morning."

Two flight attendants standing just inside the plane door greeted each passenger as they boarded.

"Welcome aboard," the first attendant said with a sunny disposition to Justine.

"Good morning," Justine replied, lowering her voice before continuing, "Is there any chance I could get a water right now? I need to take some Dramamine before the flight."

"No, I'm sorry, we'll be through with bar service after takeoff," she said meeting Justine's volume. Then, turning her attention back to the next passenger, "Welcome aboard."

It was then that Justine caught the eye of the second attendant who without breaking eye contact with her slipped a mini bottle of water into Justine's open tote bag. He gave her a slight wink, smiled, then turned his attention to the next passenger boarding. "Good morning."


Justine found her seat. It was the first time she was flying business class. Her flight was only from Greensboro to Hartford but the upgrade was free so she took advantage of it. Especially since she was exhausted from the week-long schedule of celebratory events for her friend's third wedding. She was really looking forward to getting some sleep in a roomy seat. She sat down, placed the two tablets in her mouth that had been loose in her jacket pocket since the hotel, and downed the entire bottle of water. After a week of drinking like a college student she was dehydrated. So much drinking! She vowed to abstain from alcohol once she was back home. She stowed her tote bag under the seat in front of her and proceeded to close her eyes, hoping that the seat next to her would remain empty. Then she passed out.


"This is your captain. Welcome aboard flight 145 bound for Hartford.

We've got clear skies the whole way and we're queued up for our turn on the runway."


Justine was startled awake by the announcement but more so that there was a well-dressed, white-haired gentleman in the seat next to her. "Oh, excuse me," she said, straightening herself in her seat. "No worries. I'm looking forward to a good nap myself." He shifted in his seat to get comfortable and closed his eyes. Justine pulled out her phone and sent a few text messages before takeoff.


        To Robyn: On the plane. Just wanted to say one more time how happy I am for you! What a week! Have an amazing time in Rome. We'll catch up when you get back.


        To Paul: On the plane. Exhausted. I may still be drunk actually. I just passed out hard and the plane hasn't even taken off yet. I didn't see you at breakfast. Does that mean you had a late night with that cutie in the bowtie from the bar? Haha. Safe travels home. Text me when you land.


        To Jack: On the plane. Captain says we are on schedule. I'll text you once I'm in the Uber. Can you pick up some dinner? Pizza is good. Love you. Don't forget to take out the trash.


She switched her phone to airplane mode, put her head back, and fell back to sleep.


"This is your captain. We are beginning our descent into Hartford. Local time is 4:55pm and we've got a beautiful sunset.

Thank you for flying with us."


Justine opened her eyes to find that she had not only fallen asleep on the shoulder of the man next to her, but she had gotten face powder on his suit jacket. "Oh no, I am so sorry. Let me get that off." She brushed her hand across his shoulder and was relieved to find it drifted off with no residue. "Thank goodness. No trace. I do apologize for falling asleep on you." No sooner had she said that, did an unsettling feeling course through her, putting a chill down her back. She held her breath and shifted in the seat to face him. That's when the reason for her nervousness was confirmed.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts