Romance WIP - Chapter Two

TWO

Text To Jack: Hi Sweetie. I’ve landed but there’s been an incident. The paramedics are here now. Not for me. For the man sitting next to me. But I’m in the window seat so I have to wait. It’s all OK. I’ll text you once I get an Uber. Love you.


All the passengers, with the exception of Justine and the man next to her, had disembarked the plane. She sat quietly facing forward, doing breathing exercises. “In, 2, 3, 4, hold, 2, out, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.” Who was the man next to her? Was someone here to pick him up or was he, like she was, going to call an Uber once they landed? She assumed he had a family because of his wedding band and the small gift box of chocolates she had spied in his briefcase before they took off. She hoped he had passed without pain. He did look peaceful which was a relief to her; her stomach was still not well and now being confined on a plane next to a deceased stranger in a small cabin that was no longer circulating air was making her nauseous. 

The paramedics worked fast and had him lifted and onto the gurney in no time. She waited until they were nearly out of the plane before getting up from her seat. Nothing and everything was flooding her mind. 

  • I have to pick up my luggage at baggage claim; at this point it’s probably been pulled for being on the belt too long.

  • Did I remind Jack to put out the recycling bins?

  • I hope there is something open because I’m starving.

  • I’m not going to know when it’s my time. I can’t waste a single moment.

The same flight attendant who had given her the bottled water at the start of the flight, handed her two more bottles and two individually wrapped fig newtons. He smiled at her and said “You were both sleeping during snack service. I’m sure he would want you to have his.” Justine smiled back and accepted, slipping it all into her tote. She was grateful he had used the word “sleeping” so effortlessly without pause. She walked down the long passenger boarding bridge alone and into the terminal abuzz with evening travelers. At the gate, the paramedics were filling out forms while a woman that Justine assumed was the man’s wife cried silently, buried in the arms of a tall man Justine assumed was their adult son.

Justine's face flushed when she saw him. She was struck by how handsome he was; he seemed both commanding and sensitive at once and all just by comforting his mother… or whom she assumed was his mother. Justine quickly shook off the thoughts as inappropriate and took a slow cleansing breath, only to have him at the moment, look up and catch her eye. She felt her face get hot and sensed a bit of perspiration forming on her upper lip. She nodded her head in acknowledgment and sympathy, and then with downcast eyes, walked to the open elevator doors and pushed the button for baggage claim without turning back.  

Comments

  1. The chapter ended taking a different direction from what I thought. I like it can’t wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it. I'm enjoying writing it. More to come.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts