Sunday, November 6, 2011

Diamond Or Cubic Zirconia?

Can you tell the difference between a diamond and a cubic zirconia?

If you saw a huge "diamond" ring on the finger of a woman standing on line in front of you at the grocery store, would you assume it was real or fake based on other aspects of her persona?

A blogger friend of mine recently wrote "It's nice to read what you post, because you keep things real, Bonnie." Do I? Honesty in my writing has always been the goal. I believe if it flows organically without editing, it comes from someplace true.

Or is it just the faux version of the diamond I wish to be?

If you were reading this in "real time", you'd know that there were many minutes that passed after that last sentence and now. I was pondering my own words... the faux version of the diamond I wish to be. Interesting...

Are you fake if you are pretending to be a better version of yourself? I'm not talking about pretending to be richer, or smarter, or more successful. That's just lying. I'm talking about acting like a better (ie more compassionate, more charitable, more resolute, more fearless) person. Are you faking it if it doesn't come naturally?

I've always said that "trying too hard to be something you're not, is the quickest way to prove you're not where you want to be". Judgmental? Yes. But I was speaking more specifically of the person trying to impress with external things. I would like to add that "trying to improve yourself, and by that I mean your character, is commendable at every level of achievement be it making a conscious effort or having it come naturally."

I am currently somewhere in the middle. I'm a carbon filled diamond. I need a bit more time for perfection. I guess my "keeping it real" moment comes in the form of admitting I still need work and lots of it. I'd like to thank my dear friend for prompting me to contemplate these thoughts... and get a blog post out of me in the process. "Thank you."

Let's go back to one of the earlier questions:
If you saw a huge "diamond" ring on the finger of a woman standing on line in front of you at the grocery store, would you assume it was real or fake based on other aspects of her persona?

If you said "no", I'm going to cry foul. You know damn well you looked at that woman and sized her up. Come on... join me in the shallow end of the pool won't you ;-)

3 comments:

  1. LOL!! OK, I can see my first comment wasn't published, now. Here we go again..

    I would be in the shallow end of the pool with you,Bonnie. Something in our human DNA makes us,not necessarily to be mean, judge each other. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a real diamond or a fake unless I went to a jeweler and actually bought the diamond from them. Even then, I'd have to take it on good faith the jeweler wasn't lying to me, lol. Still, I judge and know I am(have been)judged by others from the day I was born.
    I've always heard "fake it til you make" as a prompt to motivate change. So, I keep putting on my fake smile each morning and hope it takes me to my happy place at some point in my day.
    If your pool were real, it would be overcrowded. We all judge. If some one says otherwise, they lie. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Fake it till you make it!" I like it!
    Thanks for pulling this one out of me, Wendy. You know how I love food for thought. Well, almost any type of food, but this post was not about that ;-)
    Until next time, my dear, stay safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any time ;) And thanks for adding my "it" on the end. That's what I get for trying to speed type, lol.

    ReplyDelete