Sunday, September 25, 2011

Letter To A Peace-Centered Friend

Hello My Friend,
I have been observing you in a far less stalker sort of way than that sounds.

I have noticed that you have had many successes with finding your inner peace, your time to re-center, your zen. I have recently discovered a desire to learn the ways of Buddhism. I am not seeking to convert from Christianity, just to find those Buddhist practices that I can incorporate into my regular daily routine as an over-stressed, over-stretched, out-of-shape, out-of-my-mind-sometimes, suburban mother and wife.

Please help me.

Know that I am happy with my life and for the most part, the way I live it. And at my core, I am being true to who I am. Changes will not come quickly or easily, if ever. But I am willing to try.

I cannot and will not, give up my worldly possessions. I will go as far as to purge more than is comfortable.

I cannot and will not, leave me family for months at a time to find myself though I will be more than happy to get away for a weekend ;-)

I cannot and will not, change who I am because for all my flaws I do like me, I just need a tweek. Well, maybe more than a tweek.

I want to learn to breathe and relax and center myself. I want to find time in my day to read and learn and grow. I want to learn to unwind and detox and generally be good to myself in a more healthful and productive way than treating myself to a Venti Pumpkin Spice Latte and a piece of pound cake.

I want to learn how to become a better person, so I can be a better mother, wife, friend, me. And I believe, the way to do that, is to learn from your successes as someone who embodies inner peace.

It's as if you glide through your days. For all that you do as a mother, wife, business woman, volunteer, world traveler you do it with an ease and grace. You always find time for yourself and yet, your family never seems to lack for your attention and affections. True, your home is not pristine, but that only serves to prove that some things are truly superficial and ultimately not important. [I have to be very honest, I'm not going to be able to give up on my "life at right angles" lifestyle, so you'll just have to work my lessons around that personality trait.]

And that's what I'm hoping this will be for me... life lessons.

I've gone on and on about what I need from you, I know. I have very little to offer in return that you would find of value.

Except my friendship.

Which, can only improve if I learn to be a better me, so really, you'd be helping yourself in the end ;-)

Thank you my friend.
My Best (and hopefully getting better),
Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment