Friday, April 1, 2011

Decisions, Decisions

Oh the difference one week can make.

Last week, my daughter, a 9 year old 3rd grader, had her first "incident" in which she was called to the counselor's office to explain her actions. This week, my daughter, a 9 year old 3rd grader, was accepted to the "center for gifted and talented" children to complete their 4th/5th school years in a special accelerated program.

Of course, these things are not mutually exclusive. Smart kids have bad days. In fact, one could say that were she getting more stimulating instruction in the class, she wouldn't have been bored into doing something thoughtless. I'm not saying that, but one could.

Now we are presented with this rare opportunity, but the decision is not an easy one. There are an equal number of pros and cons to going as there are staying. We've placed a tremendous burden on the upcoming Open House to be our determining factor. What will the "gut" say? Will her heart fill with joy the moment she enters the school? Or will she feel ill and scared and want to leave? It may not be the usual way to make decisions, but I think ultimately, it's the best way.

In the last few months, I've also started the process of investigating middle schools. We've decided it's best to look into private/parochial schools versus our public school. One of the private schools I visited was a perfect example of "following your feelings". The building and campus were gorgeous, the staff was gracious and welcoming, and the headmaster was eloquent as he spoke of the history and philosophy of the school... and yet the whole time I was there, I couldn't get the creepy feeling out of my back. Ultimately I decided it was was less school and more cult, and therefore not a fit. The "gut" knows!

The Open House for the GT Program is a week from today. In one week's time, everything could be status quo or completely changed. Oh the difference one week can make.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment