Saturday, November 20, 2010

Show Me The Money

I hated the movie "Jerry Maguire". I'm not a huge fan of Tom Cruise but that's not the reason I hated it so much. What I hated and continue to hate (I'm not even going to try to come up with another word because "hate" fits so well) are the endless quotes from this horrible movie that have worked there way into our everyday speech.

"Show me the money."
"You complete me."
"You had me at "hello"."

Ugh! I hate the sentiment of these quotes, the copy-catting of these quotes, and the fact that after 14 years even I'm using lousy lines from this lousy movie.

Whew! Got that out of my system. Now onto the point of this post...
*****
I'm looking for cash. But I'm not looking for a job. I need to discover a way to generate income without changing my schedule.

I love being a stay at home mom. I think it's important at nearly every phase of my daughter's development. This is not meant as a judgement on mothers who work, by need or design, but as a point of reference; I can't do too many major things at once and motherhood plus job would turn me into a mental patient. I'm sure of it.

Now, in order to bring some money in (I'm looking at private school in 3 years, not to mention Christmas in a little over 30 days) but still be available for drop-off, pick-up, and all the after school stuff, I need to work from home. It's the only way. Or at least the only way I can think of.

I've taken huge steps in saving money (curbing spending on all fronts from shopping to heating) but making money still alludes me. I still work at my daughter's school 2 hours a day and that is a nice little monetary bonus to the bottom line. But I can do better.

Retail is in my blood - the buying for sure but more importantly the selling. I host yard sales, sell my daughter's things at consignment shops and on ebay, started an Etsy page for the art work she and I create (that I no longer have the room for). But in all cases, I'm losing money. Either, I can't sell it for more than $1, or I'm giving 50% back to the store, or I'm paying fees on things that didn't sell. Time to reel all these ventures into one. I've started a Facebook store and I've no doubt it will take off. [Check me out at Two Fancy Fishes]

First up, work from home when I want. Second, no start up fees, in fact, no cost at all until I start purchasing for sale (which won't be for some time since I have so much). Thirdly, no advertising just word of mouth. What better place to use the old "and they told friends, and they told friends, and so on, and so on" then on Facebook.

We'll see how it goes. I just put it up yesterday. Other FB stores that do that same thing seem to do very well. Wish me luck.

Now, if I could just get paid to do laundry and go grocery shopping, we'd be rolling in it ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment