Sunday, September 26, 2010

I Missed My Anniversary!

Two days ago, on September 24th, marked the 1 year anniversary of my little blog... I should have felt this special occasion in my soul but I was too wrapped up with monthly cramps and whether or not my husband was going to make it home in one piece from his sailing trip.

Earlier in the week, while in the checkout line at Target, the movie "Julie & Julia" was on the $10 rack and I picked it up, but I put it back (my new self-imposed spending restrictions prevented me from the impulse buy). But it was this movie, seen in the middle of the day with a mommy friend from school, that sent me straight home to start writing my little blog. A smile is coming across my face with the thought of the happiness and emotional release this "public diary" has given me. Here's a quick year in review...

Eleven posts my first week. Whoa! Clearly, I had a lot of pent up need to purge my mind and stretch my writing muscle. To be fair, 3 of them where really more introductions from myself to the blogosphere but that's still a heavy week of blogging. One of my favorites, and it continues to be relevant today is "Disclaimer":

"Unless specifically noted by title - my daughter, my husband, my friend with insomnia - all individuals described are composites of many people with those same personalities traits. I have sought, and will continue to do so, to not single out any one person to be the driving force of my emotional rants. Luckily, I know so many people that piss me off on regular basis that it should be easy to find material from a collection of sources.
If in the course of reading my posts, you feel personally slighted, rest easy in the knowledge that you are not alone.
Thank you."

Week 2 brought about one of my most popular posts "If The Truth Shall Set Us Free, Why Do We Remain Tied To Our Facades". It was also the first blog post to earn me comments from people other than my friends AND my first unknown followers Nancy of f8hasit and Gavin of Insanity's Musings. It was a very exciting moment to know that not only are people reading your work, but enjoying it enough to comment and follow. That, and they're not just saying it to be nice because they know you.

As the weeks went on, I wrote with some regularity, averaging two times a week, some more, some less, depending on my need to vent or question or ponder. My list of followers grew from just my friends to virtual strangers that have become a sort of blogosphere family. Wendy of Say It With Poetry has been a constant supporter of not only my writing but of me. How strange and wonderful to have a friend you've never met but somehow understands where you're coming from.

I've used this blog to yell about injustice, wonder the why's of life, cry over my failings, revel in the joys of motherhood, complain about the neighbors, relive old memories, and write again. Oh, how I love to write again, especially when it doesn't have to be about anything at all; and let's be honest, sometimes it's an meaningless as you can get. But it's always entertaining for me, and I hope at the very least, my readers feel the same way.

A whole year. Amazing. I've enjoyed every minute of this. Have I accomplished any goals? "A woman seeking enlightenment, a bit of perfection, and the body she had in her mid-twenties." Well, when you put it that way, no, not really. But I have improved my writing, met some wonderful people, and learned a few things about myself, so it wasn't a complete loss. And hey, I'm already into year two of this blogging thing. There's still time ;-)

4 comments:

  1. WOOT WOOT!! Congratulations!*imagine confetti being thrown into air and cascading in multi-color dots around you* And thank you for mentioning me :) It's good to know on my side that I mean something to someone in the blog-sphere family. Bonnie continue to be true to yourself. That's a huge accomplishment. One you've been able to master. Blog or no. Here's to another year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Wendy.
    I'm so glad I took the plunge into the deep unknown blogosphere oh so many months ago. It's been fun AND therapeutic... I must have saved a fortune by not unburdening myself to a shrink ;-)
    Thanks for joining me on journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary!! I enjoy reading your blog and hope you write for many years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Cyndi.
    We Jersey girls in our forties have things of value to say to the world, don't we? Thank goodness for the Blogosphere; I would have lost all my friends by now if I'd have vented all that I say here, to them ;-)

    ReplyDelete