Wednesday, March 3, 2010

So Much To Catch-Up On I Hardly Know Where To Start

Wow! I have really let things go, haven't I. Rants got in the way of previously planned posts, I haven't told you word one about my new job (which is really not "new" anymore), and now I have little or no access to the computer on a regular basis so when I do feel the urge to purge, I can't do anything about it. Today, I'm taking advantage of a relatively task-free morning to play catch-up.

Let's first discuss the easy stuff... the renovations are going very smoothly. Clearing the air with A was the best thing I could have done. We both know where the other stands and it's freeing - guess my honesty post was right; how 'bout that? ;-) This week there is nothing noteworthy to tell you. Now that all the plumbing problems have been corrected, he's just putting the walls up... a task he says is the most boring of all. As for the dust, well, I've come to accept it [that's called growth my friends] and in a strange way, I find it a relief since it gives me an out on dusting altogether.

My job was a struggle at first but now I've really come to love and appreciate these kids. That's not to say that there aren't some days I don't feel like smacking a kid or two, but those days seem to be waning. In the beginning, I was really struck dumb by the difference in age between my still very young 2nd grader and the "mature" 4th graders. I use quotes because they are not at all mature but they think they are very old and cool. The subject matter they discussed on the playground was abhorrent and I voiced my concern to the guidance counselor who basically said, "If they're not killing each other, it's out of our hands." Well, maybe out of your hands, because you're staff but not out of mine. I'm a mother first, an employee second and I'm going to reprimand these kids like a mother to a child; with love and mutual respect and low strong tones. You know what, the kids took the bait. Not only do they show me (a bit) more respect than the other monitors who just yell at them or plead with them, they come to me for acceptance and guidance. It brings a smile to my face to just write this. There is still one 3rd grader who tests me. She's brought me to the yelling place where I lose my authority. But I was quick to correct myself and regain my position. I won't say our relationship will ever be warm and fuzzy... I'm kind of hoping she'll just be removed from the school (I'm not the only one she pushes). For the most part, it's a great way to get paid. I only wish it wasn't smack dab in the middle of the day; it's hard to get anything done.

I suppose any "catch-up" post should include how I'm doing on my diet and exercise. Ugh! I've been much better about what I eat and I exercise somewhat regularly. I'm not losing a thing but I feel better. Is that going to get me into a size 2 by month's end? Absolutely not! But if I feel better, possibly those good vibes will come out in photos and not my double chin or big belly ;-) I'm very uncomfortable having my picture taken with my sisters who are all tall and thin - I always look out of place. All those photo events are coming all too soon. It may not be enough time to lose a ton of weight, but if anyone has chin/neck exercises, please forward them immediately - hahaha.

I still have yet to write "In Support Of Sweating The Small Stuff" and "What Are YOU Bringing To The Table?" - a fictional piece. They're coming. Promise. I just don't have time now, I've got to get ready for work... see how that midday work schedule messes things up. I'm on a roll and have to stop? ;-)

Today is Wacky Tacky day at school. I like to play along but it's going to be difficult to find mismatched clothes when everything I own is black ;-) Off to change. Until next time friends, stay safe and well.

3 comments:

  1. Happy Glitch found today... beautiful hardwood floors under the carpet in the family room! Bonus! Makes last week's plumbing problems disappear.
    PS Tomorrow, I will have no access to the computer all day. If you leave a comment in the meantime, please know that I will reply late tomorrow. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it's good to know you're alive and kicking =). Kudos to you for clearing the air with A and not letting the 3rd grader push you over. You know, she could have issues at home and is testing you because you care. Then again, she could just be a spoiled brat,LOL!
    You aren't the only one who struggles with exercising and with what to eat. As I get older, it's very difficult not only to find time to exercise but actually have energy at the end of a work day to want to. And because I do love my junk food, my lower body is a struggle to keep gravity at bay. I have been contemplating purchasing a trainer at the YMCA so I can get a workout in the evenings. But haven't come to a definitive decision as of yet. I am proud of you for what you have accomplished! It may not seem as if you are doing anything, but the fact that you feel better because of the exercising you have done and the good food you are eating proves your body is enjoying the change. Stick with it, Bonnie, I am cheering for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Wendy! Thank you. I hate to use this phrase but it seems to fit... "It's All Good!" ;-)
    As for the 3rd grader, she's got a little of both going on. Defiant, disrespectful, arrogant, mean, and spoiled rotten. Brought up with a silver spoon in her mouth but Mommy was only 18 when she had her with a boy from the other side of the tracks. Daddy is in jail. I told you, a little of both. I don't know what to do with her for the 30 minutes I deal with her daily. I try not to let her rule my day.
    Thanks again, Wendy. I'm glad your in my cheering section ;-)

    ReplyDelete