Thursday, February 25, 2010

Second Post of the Day... This Can't Be A Good Sign

Previously, on "Blogging To A Better Bonnie"... we left our leading lady steaming as she discovered yet another problem behind the walls and with her contractor.

So I just put it out there. If I'm going to talk the honesty talk, I've got to walk it too.
"A, can I talk to you for a second? Are you cheating on me with another project that you go missing each morning?"
"No, of course not. I've been buying materials and getting second opinions on the problems."
"OK. Just checking."
Well, he was clearly shaken by my question and spoke with my husband later.
"Your wife is tough."
"She is, but what makes you say that?"
"She thinks I'm "cheating" on her by working another project."
"Oh."
"I'm not, I'm just getting supplies and stuff."
"OK."
When my husband retold the story, I asked him if A seems nervous or annoyed. He said, a little of both. So should I apologize? Don't I have the right to ask? Some contractors have several projects going at once but he said he doesn't do that, but given that his other guy has been MIA all week, one can only assume it was another job. Why do I feel so bad for asking the question?

Well, apparently, he's also upset with the fact that I've asked them to be out at 5pm. Today, I said stay as long as you need. He left around 6:30pm after cleaning up, plus fixing a few minor household things like the slow draining tub and the loose banister. I think we both feel a little bad about today.

When he left, I said "So what time should I expect you tomorrow?" trying to gauge if I should push him about being late.
"Between 8am and 8:30am."
Jokingly I said, "Does that mean 9am, 9:30am?"
"No, no, 8am, 8:30am."
I don't know if he took it as a gentle dig or a bitchy slap... we'll just have to wait and see what tomorrow brings.

Tomorrow, I'm going to call our homeowners insurance and see if we can't get some money back for the shower leaking. And tomorrow, I'm going to tread lightly. I don't want to offend anyone who has power tools. Certainly, not until he finishes the kitchen.

9 comments:

  1. Is it wrong of me to find this post very amusing? XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, since I try to bring a bit of humor to all my posts.
    Hopefully, I'll feel the same way you do by tomorrow ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't apologize - you obviously sensed something hinky going on and you are paying him good money. Be nice about other stuff - offer him coffee or what have you. Let him know you can be a benevolent queen or a vengeful harpy :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Joan. And thank you for joining me on this little journey of self discovery and venting.
    I do feel like clearing the air once more this morning but I'm not sure what to say... I feel like this is the early stages of dating and you don't want to rock the boat just yet ;-)
    As for the perks of working for me, well, they have access to coffee which I make fresh each day and I've offered to make them breakfast, lunch, and dinner (so they don't have to leave to get it). Last night, I brought them in McDs. I don't complain about the mess (which is beyond all of our controls) and always compliment good work and keep up with my pleases and thank yous as I expect for myself. I respect their abilities and appreciate their work. So, all in all, I'm a pretty good boss ;-) I'm hoping more queen than harpy :D

    And thank you my other friend. I've translated your comment to read: "Oh, very much like your blog ... refueling" Thank you. I always appreciate you taking the time to write and it's a little prize for me to find out what you said ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you,Bonnie! Some times it's good to be direct by being indirect. Loved that you called him out on the time he'd be at you house to work. And so what if he thinks your tough? At least now A knows you've been paying attention and maybe he'll shape up. That's a good idea about the home owner's insurance and your money. I don't think I would've been smart or creative enough to have thought of doing that =) Hey, there's a website called Angie's list.com and it has reviews on people that have done work for others. So maybe your contractor(s) could be on this list? Worth checking out if you have time. Again best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, in case you were wondering, I found out about Angies List.com on TV. Don't know if it's angieslist.com but it could be. Google will shed light on it for sure =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anybody home? Thought I'd drop in and see how things were going with the home improvements. Wishing you the best =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so sweet, Wendy. Yes, I'm doing surprisingly well, just busy with life. It's my plan to blog tomorrow about the home improvements (which are going very well now that I cleared the air) and the other 50 things I said I'd be writing about ;-)
    There's never enough hours in the day.
    Thank you for checking in on me. I'll get back to it soon.

    ReplyDelete