Thursday, February 25, 2010

I Can't Breathe

OK. I know I said I had 3 blog posts in the works on various subjects but I've got to get a few things off my chest and out of my mind with regards to the construction going on in my house.

I can't breathe! Forget that the dust is everywhere and I've given up caring about it... yes, that's right, I'm not freaking out about the dust. I am however, having trouble breathing the dust-filled, toxic smell of burnt linoleum (apparently the method of choice for getting old flooring glue to give is to blow-torch it) and have developed a cough. Don't even get me started on the goop inside my nose.

Let's add to that the fact that my contractor, who seemed "the one" for a number of reasons, one of them being that he does all the work and doesn't farm it out to anyone else, is never here!! "A" drops off "S", his worker, and then he disappears. When he is here, he's either on the phone or staring up into the plumbing in the ceiling (explanation to follow) seemingly thinking of ways to correct unforeseen problems but he could just be napping with his eyes open.

I've heard of contractors and all their flaws. I said, "Not mine. He's gonna be great!" I may eat those words.

My favorite though is the time management. I have said over and over again that time is important to me. If you say 7am, I don't understand that to mean 7am to 7:30am, I am expecting 7am! Here's been the rundown this week:
Monday - Should have been here at 1:30pm; showed at 4:30pm
(Called at 12:30pm to say truck was stuck in the mud and he will be there at 2:30pm.
No other calls.)
Tuesday - Should have been here 7am; showed at 7:30am
Wednesday - Should have been here at 7:45am; showed at 8:20am
Thursday - Should have been here at 8:30am; showed at 9:15am
Not only late everyday, but by these patterns should be upping his lateness to a full hour tomorrow. I'm not happy.

So far, the work seems to be moving, but as I'm looking at people standing around with nothing to do, I have to assume the work could be tenfold by now. The rooms have all been demoed with the exception of the floor in the kitchen which had more to it. Seems the last two owners like to change things up, but not the right way. There were three floors under each others... all of them ugly! There was also two different wallpapers, both eyesores, plus two different wall colors including my own. The bulkhead, which was removed to accommodate my new 40" cabinets instead of the 30" that were there, was hiding plumbing (and problem plumbing at that) so we had to opt for a mini bulkhead and a 36" cabinet - thank God we had that option.

It's 4:00pm now. I've told them to stay as long as they'd like even though initially I said you've got to be out each day by 5pm (I don't need them around when I'm trying to spend time with my family and get dinner together, etc.). But here I am, trying to find ways for them to be here a full day. Oops, I'm being called. Apparently, there is a problem with the shower upstairs above the kitchen.

I'm not enjoying myself.

4 comments:

  1. Wow...sounds like you got a lot going on. Hopefully it will all turn out for the better soon so that you can start enjoying yourself. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gavin, I wish I drank. This would make things so much easier.

    Here's what the problem is with the shower. The shower stall pan is leaking and had rotted through the plywood. Looks like more money and longer stay for my contractor and his crew; we have to add in a new shower stall.

    I'm a little dizzy now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, you may end with a new bathroom above your new kitchen not to mention the new windows! By the end of all this you'll have a brand new house,Bonnie! Shame on your contractors for being so late! Does saying anything to them do anything at all to motivate them to be on time? I mean you are the one paying them, right? Perhaps you should mention that for every minute late they are for work that's how much money you are deducting off their pay. Best of luck =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy, I've got too much to add, to add it here. I'm going to post again. Thank you for supporting me and my rant. You're good friend ;-)

    ReplyDelete