Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Compromises Made

On the first Monday in January, our kitchen is being gutted. Down to the studs - as they say. I don't want a shred of the original in my house by Wednesday of that week.

Let me tell you about the kitchen I've lived with for the last 10 years. It's original to the house which was built in 1965 - getting a picture yet? It has brown appliances (that is, the ones that still work) and harvest gold linoleum floors with a sunflower pattern - are you ill now? The countertops are formica with cuts and burns in it and the cabinets, well, the cabinets aren't all that bad except I hate them. I hate it all. I hate that for the last 5 years since the original refrigerator died, I've been walking to my garage to get milk. I hate that there is a cabinet over the buffet counter so you have to duck to see into the eating space. I hate that there is not enough cabinets to house all my stuff, of course, I could get rid of some stuff, but I use my stuff, so why should I.

Of course, having barely survived my last mini remodeling project (I had an outside wall replaced with a wall of windows) I am already feeling the pressure. You see, with the holidays here and too many distractions to number, coupled with being out of state from Christmas Day until New Years Eve, I'm looking ahead to a house full of construction dust over not only my everyday stuff, but all the holiday decorations I put out. Unless by some miracle of packing karma I can rid my 1st floor of all the Christmas flair and all the gifts, and then pack away my regular odds and ends, I'm looking at a full blown OCD ridden small particle freak out meltdown. (Please read past post:Dust to Dust...). I'm hyperventilating just thinking about it.

In light of future events, I had to make some compromises to my traditional holiday hoopla. No Christmas village of houses and shops, no snowglobe collection, no artificial tree with all the fragile gold ornaments, and only half the usual Christmas ornaments on the real tree. More than half of all my Christmas decorations never even made it out of the storeroom this year. I just can't count on time being on my side as I feverishly pack everything away before the first sledgehammer is thrown. I'm sad about that. I only get to see these wonderful trinkets once a year and now it will be two before they see the light of day.

We've made the best of it. To be honest, I have way too much and I should be rotating the stuff in and out on alternating years anyway. The casual observer wouldn't notice anything missing, but I do. Only the dream of a new kitchen makes it all OK. Yeah!

I've started to clear through the kitchen cabinets and purge old items I don't want cluttering up my new kitchen. I've decided I'm not buying any more pantry items in an attempt to have less to move. And I've been imaging how we can make do without a stove or sink for a month or more. We'll be setting up a makeshift kitchen in the mudroom - just a microwave and a toaster oven - but since it's right off of the garage, hey, I'll be closer to my refrigerator ;-).

4 comments:

  1. Sounds too much like work to me. XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck to you. It's a hassle that will be well worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Wendy. The kitchen project has really been sucking up my time these past few days. I'd love to get back to merry making, but everything has to be firmed up quickly so we can start on the 4th as planned. Ugh! Two hours looking at drawer pulls today. It's mind numbing. But yes, all worth it in the end ;-)
    Thanks again my new friend.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete