Thursday, November 19, 2009

A Bit of Fiction... Or Is It?

I thought I'd try something different. Hope you like it. The same old sarcastic, ever questioning Bonnie will be back for the next post :-).

*****

"You are a liar. You claim to be someone you're not. And yet, oddly enough, you don't claim to be more than who you are, but less.

"I suppose it's sympathy you're looking for. Perhaps pity. Maybe a friend to hold your hand and tell you everything is going to be alright. Everyone around you is pumping you up, buoying your spirits and still you sit there like a sad puppy dog, beaten down and hungry. You crave attention, Poor Pitiful Pearl. It's all too often the pompous that annoy and irritate me, but today it's the pathetic. And not because you truly are pathetic but because that's the persona you enjoy playing. How pathetic.

"I don't believe for a second that you have lived the downtrodden and sometimes demoralizing life you claim to. Your clarity of thought and educated vernacular as well as your kind heartedness are your "tell". Not to mention that you haven't been keeping track of your facts. You say something one day and then give conflicting information the next.

"But I know what you're ultimate goal is. You need an escape. A fantasy world to live in from time to time. Your own life is boring so you've created a diversion in which to play. But instead of keeping the imaginary world to your daydreams, you let it out for everyone to see it. Now what do you do. You have to be two people - the real and the fake. Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive. No truer words have been spoken.

"How dare you pretend to be something you are not to play with the emotions of others.

"Do you feel a twinge of panic for having been found out? Will you continue to believe that your real identity remains hidden? Will you come to your senses and admit it was a work of fiction? I don't want to be the one to shine the light of truth on you... I want you to do it. I want you to look in the mirror, tell yourself reality may not be perfect but it's better than fabricating a plot line so twisted and flawed. Say it was all make-believe and you can live happily ever after.

"But maybe, oh just maybe, you're playing us. This was part of it all along. You've fallen down hard, and then you'll raise yourself out of the ashes. Hollywood loves a comeback kid. Oh, you are clever, aren't you.

"Wow! I concede. You've played the game well, but I still think you're nothing more than a character in your own novel. I won't play into the compassionate bystander role any longer. But I will pay for my ticket and watch the show. It's an Oscar worthy performance."
Fin.

8 comments:

  1. Wow...that's very...wow..I don't know what to say really. I've been sitting here for the last five minutes trying to think of something at least halfways interesting...but I can't. Very good though. I loved it. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Gavin. I've never been very good at fiction writing. So I thought I'd play with the perspective instead.
    I'm all for honesty, but even I am not bold (or mean) enough to be completely honest with people, opting instead to only tell the kindest truths: "How do I look?" "Wow, that dress is so pretty." That sort of thing.
    But this blog thing, well, it's given me the freedom to be as honest as I want to be... without saying these mean things directly to someone's face.
    I wonder if that makes ME fake? Hmmm... food for another post ;-).
    As always, thanks for reading and taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it :-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not good at fiction? This was amazing! You should be proud of yourself. (: It really made me stop and think about things. It just goes to show that you can never really know everything about a person. Where did you find the inspiration for this? Or is it real? o.0

    Oh you're welcome, I love reading what you have to say. (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always, my "villains" are composites of many people in my life.
    If you get a second, read my post "Disclaimer" from September. It's my ode to those who inspire much of my writing ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok I read it...makes sense now. I don't mean that it didn't before cause it did, but I see where you're coming from more I guess I should say. Wow...I can't stop reading this post. It's one of your best that I've read so far. Maybe because it's just vague enough that it can describe a lot of people. But yet, it's detailed enough that it has it's own story you know?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm thrilled that you like it so much.
    I don't know how much of this type of writing I'll be doing, but you may have just inspired me to do more ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh you most certainly should do more! I think that you will make a lot of people stop and think if you make such a good point like you did with this one.

    To be honest...at first I was "omg is she writing about me?" But then the further I read the more I was like "oh, ok, she's not. Wow..this is great reading."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so, so much :-). I'm grinning from ear to ear.

    ReplyDelete